Skin care is vital to maintain a healthy, youthful appearance. When done diligently and consistently, proper skin care can play a preventative role in keeping signs of aging from further advancing. However, while many skin care products promise rejuvenating benefits at home, many of our clients experience underwhelming results – if any!
To give our Baltimore clientele genuine, long-lasting results, Dr. Daniel Markmann and his team of experts at Metamorphosis Plastic Surgery are proud to offer patients their suite of skin care products and procedures to help you achieve a smoother skin texture and younger appearance. To understand which skin care treatments are best for your complexion and perfect in achieving your desired results, you will first need to schedule a personal consultation at our Baltimore offices. Here, we will be able to tailor our services to meet your needs. If you would like to speak to our lovely front desk, please call (410) 465-3600.
Through unprotected exposure to UV rays, an imbalanced diet, stress, and age-dependent collagen loss, our skin can make us appear older than our age and how we feel on the inside. This is because all of these factors impact our skin’s inner support structure. If our skin isn’t properly nourished and cared for, signs of aging can appear quicker than expected. And while marketed to reverse signs of aging, many products, and DIY devices lack the necessary capabilities to provide real, long-lasting results. But, at Metamorphosis, we are proud to offer in-office care and treatments to deliver legitimate, unmatched results. Some skin care conditions we commonly treat include:
Wrinkles & Fine Lines
As we age, wrinkles and fine lines appear seemingly overnight. For some, they appear faintly drawn in skinny, imperceptible lines along the face, but for others, they appear heavy and deep, capturing most of the spotlight. These wrinkles and fine lines appear most in areas that are regularly contracted by facial muscles. Notably, areas around the mouth and nose and the corners of the eyes are common trouble spots for wrinkles and fine lines. Other areas are between and above the brows.
Unlike our other organs, our skin is the only part of our body that undergoes photoaging, resulting in age-related pigmentary changes. Through a lifetime of consistent, unprotected sun exposure, not only does our skin’s inner structure weaken, but also the cells in our skin change in pigmentation. Studies are clear to show that UV radiation causes epidermal pigmentation to intensify. Over time, exposed skin can appear uneven in tone and texture. For many, brown spots called melasma sprout on our skin. These spots can appear on any part of our skin that receives constant sunlight. For many of our patients, this can include the face, arms, chest, neck, and legs. If left untreated, these brown spots can become a prominent fixture on our complexion.
Acne & Acne Scars
Typically during puberty, we all experience differing degrees of acne. It can sprout in the form of a pimple or two, or it can appear as patches around your face’s T-zone and chin. However, for many, acne fades after adolescence. But, for some, acne can persist, even worsening later in life. While most men will see a majority of their acne gradually disappear by 25 years old, 80% of women who experience acne can experience it well past 40 years old. Many of our patients say acne negatively impacts their life and well-being. Those who have had severe bouts of acne may have scars as unpleasant reminders.
Skin Care Options at Metamorphosis
At Metamorphosis, our suite of chemical peels can help restore a youthful, rejuvenated appearance to your complexion. Our chemical peels include:
- Light Peels: these peels target the skin’s superficial layer by supplying a soft exfoliation to restore your face’s healthy glow. Light peels are great at targeting uneven pigmentation, skin dryness, mild acne, and fine lines.
- Medium Peels: using a stronger solution than light peels, medium peels use ingredients like Trichloroacetic Acid to penetrate a deeper layer of the skin, treating moderate to severe wrinkles.
- Deep Peels: will penetrate the deepest layers of the skin to treat severe wrinkles and other skin conditions, like moderate to severe acne scars. This peel utilizes stronger acids which will require 5 to 7 days of downtime. It is the deepest peel we offer.
To immediately improve the tone, texture, and appearance of your skin, we often recommend a HydraFacial. This strong exfoliating technology rids the skin’s surface of dead cells as well as unclogging pores. While the HydraFacial clears the skin of irregularities, Vortex-Fusion Technology supplies constant nourishing serums to keep the skin healthy. The HydraFacial technology works to first cleanse and eliminate the outer layer of damaged, dead skin, then to unclog any pores, and lastly to introduce a blend of nutrients to encourage a youthful complexion for years to come.
A non-surgical solution to many different skin conditions like wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and even deep scars is laser skin resurfacing procedures. Laser skin resurfacing uses CO2 laser energy to create micro-abrasions in the skin. These micro-abrasions trigger the body’s natural healing response, resulting in an influx of new collagen and elastin as well as other restorative chemicals and growth factors. These newly produced growth factors go to work under the skin to naturally smooth away wrinkles and fine lines. Over the next couple of weeks, you will notice your skin regains its smoothness and youthful appearance!
IsoLaz is a great solution to treat persistent or late-onset adult acne. The IsoLaz technology combines a vacuum with broadband light to target bacteria that may live deep in your pores. First, the vacuum helps loosen and extract dirt, oil, and blackheads. Then, the broadband light destroys acne-causing bacteria as well as reduces facial redness in the treated areas.
Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure that uses tiny needles to target deep dermal layers in your face and neck. As with the CO2 laser, when the microneedles disrupt the skin’s surface, the body sends a wave of newly produced collagen and restorative chemicals. While this procedure is popular at reducing the sight of wrinkles and fine lines, studies show that microneedling acne scars result in a 51%-60% improvement in the scars’ appearance and 40%-50% in skin texture.
- ZO Skin Health: ZO Skin Health skincare products are medical-grade solutions to everyday complications in complexion. This suite of products can firm, tighten, and correct your skin, while also supplying top-of-the-line hydration and even tone.
- Latisse: to naturally grow lashes bigger, fuller, and bolder, we recommend Latisse. With Latisse, you just apply the upper eyelid with this prescription over the course of 16 weeks and you will notice that your eyelashes are naturally longer and darker.
- Skin Better Science Products: from the creators of Restylane and Dysport comes this premier line of anti-aging products. These products contain hyaluronic acid, glycolic acid, and peptides to tighten skin, even pigmentation, and wash away wrinkles.
- PCA Skin: this world-class line of skincare products has been offering clients real, long-lasting results for the last 30 years. From different skin rejuvenating serums to broad-spectrum sunscreen to protect our skin, we are proud to make PCA Skin a staple in our skincare store.
The first step on this journey to a brighter, more radiant appearance is to schedule a personal consultation at our Baltimore offices. Here, we will begin by first performing a brief physical examination and a new patient intake interview. Then, we will listen to your areas of concern. This could be any of the treatable conditions mentioned above or another unspecified ailment. We will then examine your trouble spots, highlighting which procedure(s) would be best in achieving your ideal complexion. Finally, we will construct a personalized treatment plan tailor-made to address each of your areas of concern.
The cost of your skin care treatment will vary depending on which procedures you choose and the number of sessions required for your ideal complexion. We will determine the price of your personalized treatment plan during your consultation. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call our front desk at (410) 465-3600.
- Bolke, L., Schlippe, G., Gerß, J., & Voss, W. (2019). A Collagen Supplement Improves Skin Hydration, Elasticity, Roughness, and Density: Results of a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Blind Study. Nutrients, 11(10), 2494. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11102494
- Handel, A. C., Miot, L. D., & Miot, H. A. (2014). Melasma: a clinical and epidemiological review. Anais brasileiros de dermatologia, 89(5), 771–782. https://doi.org/10.1590/abd1806-4841.20143063
- Holzmann, R., & Shakery, K. (2014). Postadolescent acne in females. Skin pharmacology and physiology, 27 Suppl 1, 3–8. https://doi.org/10.1159/000354887
- Update on fractional laser technology. (2010). The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, 3(1), 42–50. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2921736/
- Iriarte, C., Awosika, O., Rengifo-Pardo, M., & Ehrlich, A. (2017). Review of applications of microneedling in dermatology. Clinical, cosmetic and investigational dermatology, 10, 289–298. https://doi.org/10.2147/CCID.S142450