Breast augmentation with implants is a surgical procedure that increases breast size and shape in individuals with small or underdeveloped breasts or after bearing children or losing weight. Augmentations with implants can reshape the breasts, change the silhouette, balance proportions for an improved appearance, and increase self-confidence. Surgeons perform over 300,000 breast augmentation surgeries annually,  which can lead us to assume that a significant portion of the population is unhappy with their breasts. However, breast implants can dramatically improve a woman’s body image and quality of life. Additionally, the quality of breast implants has vastly improved since the early days of augmentation; today, the new generation of FDA-approved silicone gel-filled implants gives patients safe additional options when choosing their implant materials. There are more choices than ever for patients pursuing an augmentation with implants!
The delicate intricacies of breast augmentation require a skilled and experienced hand with an artistic eye. Board-certified surgeon Dr. Daniel Markmann is well known for his personalized approach, which is why his patients come from Ellicott City, Baltimore, and beyond. So if you want to look your best, choose the best. Schedule a consultation at Metamorphosis Plastic Surgery to learn how Dr. Markmann can help you love your breasts. Call (410) 465-3600 or fill out our contact form so we can call you back.
If you wish to learn more about Dr. Markmann and the treatments and procedures offered at Metamorphosis Plastic Surgery, follow our blog.
- Before and After Photos
- More About Breast Augmentation
- Benefits of Breast Implants
- Candidates for Breast Augmentation with Implants
- Designing Your New Breasts
- Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- Personal Consultation in Ellicott City
- Preparing for Breast Augmentation Surgery
- The Breast Augmentation Procedure
- What to Expect During Recovery from Breast Augmentation
- Cost of Breast Augmentation with Implants in Ellicott City
Before and After Photos
More About Breast Augmentation
Choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon for your breast augmentation ensures that your surgery will be performed safely and that you’ll be satisfied with your results. However, breast augmentations are not one-size-fits-all because each patient’s anatomy is unique. While there are standardized techniques used in breast augmentation, a surgeon will consider the patient’s lifestyle, skin condition, age, and other unique attributes when designing their surgical plan, and advising them as to which implant will suit them best.
Your decision to undergo breast augmentation surgery is yours alone. Breast augmentation surgery can efficiently resolve the effects that aging, genetics, pregnancy, nursing, hormones, and weight fluctuations have had on your breasts. Perhaps you want a subtle boost, or you’re looking for a dramatic increase in fullness. When it comes to enhancing your self-image, it’s all about you! There is no need to justify your reason for wanting to augment your breasts, but it is important that you understand what the procedure entails, and what it can achieve. Contact us to find out more about the procedure.
Benefits of Breast Implants
Breast implants can reshape your breasts, improve your appearance, and increase self-confidence. Patients find that after breast augmentation surgery, they are pleased with the overall size and shape of their breasts. In addition, breast augmentation can adjust for reductions in breast size after pregnancy, breastfeeding, or significant weight loss. Breast augmentation has high rates of satisfaction; most women who undergo this procedure are so pleased with their results that they would be willing to have the surgery again! 
Candidates for Breast Augmentation with Implants
Breast augmentation results can be genuinely life-changing, but Dr. Markmann must first establish your candidacy for surgery during a personal consultation. Bring in photo references and be prepared to explain exactly why you’re dissatisfied with your breasts so that he can get a better idea of your aesthetic goals. Dr. Markmann will also help clarify the limitations of breast augmentation surgery so that you have realistic expectations. For example, patients with considerable laxity (sagging) would be better candidates for a breast lift, which can be performed in combination with an augmentation.
All candidates for surgery must be:
- Healthy patients over 18 years old to receive saline implants and over 22 for silicone
- Non-smokers or willing to quit temporarily
- Able to commit to the recovery period and follow post-op instructions
The best way to determine whether you’re a good candidate for breast augmentation is to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Markmann. Call (410) 465-3600 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.
Designing Your New Breasts
Consider the Size
Unlike the standardized measurement for bra cup size, we measure implant size by cubic centimeters (cc). The first thing to consider with the size of your breast implants is your desired effect. Would you prefer extra fullness or natural contours? To properly convey your desired aesthetic post-surgery, bring some photos of breasts you find beautiful. Just as you would show pictures of what you’d like to a hairstylist, having a set of visual references helps keep you and your surgeon on the same page.
Dr. Markmann will help you consider other factors like:
- The amount of breast tissue (fullness) you already have
- Your skin’s thickness and laxity
- Your overall proportions
- Silicone Implants: Silicone implants are the most popular choice for women who undergo breast implants. These consist of a silicone shell and are filled with a silicone gel that mimics the feel of natural breast tissue. The latest silicone implants are filled with a cohesive silicone gel that is more life-like than ever and boast added safety features since the implant’s gel will stay intact in case of rupture. Because the gel is solid, there are more dramatic projections available for a high-impact profile!
- Saline Implants: These implants are empty when placed in the breast pocket, and are inflated with a sterile salt water solution during surgery. This lets the surgeon carefully control the exact size of the implant, and ensure symmetry during surgery. Because saline is biocompatible, there are no health risks in case of rupture, and patients can quickly detect an implant malfunction.
Round or teardrop? Round implants achieve voluptuous fullness, with more volume in the upper pole of the breast (above the nipple). Anatomical or teardrop-shaped implants result in a more natural-looking contour with volume focused in the lower pole of the breast. Ideal breast shapes have changed throughout the decades: fashion in the 70s featured a natural teardrop shape, while the 80s ideal dictated full, round breasts with ample cleavage. What is your aesthetic?
How far from the chest your implant “projects” from your chest at the largest point determines the profile of your breast augmentation. Therefore, it is essential to consider your lifestyle when contemplating projections to find the right implants for you.
- Moderate Profile
- Moderate Plus
- High Profile
- Extra high Profile
There are countless options for the profile and projection, as well as the base width of the implant. This allows patients of all shapes and sizes to find implants that suit their anatomy. You can “try on” different implant sizes with a special bra at Dr. Markmann’s office to better help you visualize your new bust.
Other important preoperative decisions influencing the final augmented breast’s appearance are:
- The most appropriate implant for the patient
- Where and how the implant will be placed
Pocket locations for the breast implants can be subglandular, submuscular, and dual plane. For example, with subglandular placement, your breast implants will sit in a pocket below the parenchyma (glandular mass). Implants placed submuscularly sit under the pectoral muscle. The most common technique today is the dual plane placement, which allows for partial coverage from both the muscle and glandular tissue at ideal locations and allows patients to take advantage of the benefits that each of these locations offers. 
Considering where to place the pocket affects the coverage and implant palpability. Dr. Markmann will determine the best placement for your breast implants based on the size and type of your implants, the elasticity of your skin, and the amount of breast tissue that you already have.
The Incision Decision
There are several incision placement options from which Dr. Markmann can choose.
- Inframammary: The incision sits in the crease where the underside of the breast meets the skin of the chest.
- Periareolar: The incision runs along the lower edge of the areola, and any scarring is concealed in the border of the areola.
- Transaxillary: The incision is located in the armpit (axilla), so there is no incision made on the breast.
Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
Patients looking to achieve an attractive breast size and symmetry can include a fat transfer to compliment their implant procedure. During treatment, fat around the abdomen, back, flanks, or thighs is vacuumed out from the body via liposuction. The fat is sent through a centrifuge and thoroughly cleansed from unneeded liquids. Once cleaned, the processed fat will be injected into strategic areas to provide a shapelier contour to the breasts. Dr. Markmann may “overfill” the breasts because not all fat cells will survive the transfer process. However, when the treatment is complete, patients will enjoy a dual-purpose procedure that will increase breast size and deliver a slimmer body silhouette
Personal Consultation in Ellicott City
Your consultation is an opportunity to learn more about breast augmentation and the techniques Dr. Markmann used to achieve stunning results. During your consultation, a physical examination and your health history will solidify your candidacy for surgery. Once you have been cleared for surgery, Dr. Markmann will help you determine the best implant type and surgical approach.
You will “try on” different implant sizes and shapes with a special bra with pockets to slide implants of differing shapes and cc’s to see the difference in your silhouette. Bring in a few shirts to see how your new breasts will affect your clothing. Bring a shirt you wear now, a shirt you want to wear, and a form-fitting t-shirt.
Once we’ve finalized the details of your surgery, you will get a chance to envision your new contours with the state-of-the-art VECTRA 3D Imaging. This innovative technology offers a circumferential, high-definition simulation of the exciting results the implants will offer.
If you feel our meeting will provide positive breast contours, we’ll schedule a surgery date.
Preparing for Breast Augmentation Surgery
Carefully review the written information about preparation and recovery provided to you by the staff at Metamorphosis Plastic Surgery. These include:
- Before surgery, you may need a mammogram.
- Dr. Markmann may instruct that you adjust or temporarily pause certain medications. It is important to avoid aspirin or other medicines that can increase bleeding.
- Patients who smoke must stop for around 4-6 weeks total (before, during, and after surgery) because smoking can inhibit the body’s ability to heal.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after the surgery and to stay with you for at least the first night.
- You may need to set up additional help if you have young children at home.
- Fill the prescription for pain medication prescribed by Dr. Markmann prior to your procedure so that it is on hand to deal with discomfort during recovery.
The Breast Augmentation Procedure
Breast augmentations typically take one to two hours from start to finish. Before your surgery, Dr. Markmann will review the treatment plan and ensure you are prepared for your recovery. Then, depending on your preference, the procedure can be accomplished under local or general anesthesia.
Saline implants are inserted empty and then filled with sterile saline when they are in the pocket. Silicone implants are pre-filled with silicone gel. When your surgery is complete in 1-2 hours, your chest will be bandaged and dressed in a supportive post-operative bra. After a brief observation period to ensure you have recovered safely from the anesthesia, you will be released to the care of your designated driver, who will take you home to begin your recovery.
What to Expect During Recovery from Breast Augmentation
Soreness and swelling may present for a few weeks after surgery. Bruising is possible as well, and scars will fade over time.
While healing, wear the compression garment for extra support and positioning of the breast implants and take the prescribed pain medication as you feel discomfort.
Dr. Markmann will instruct you about when you can return to regular activities. Less-demanding jobs will allow you to return sooner than physically demanding ones. It is crucial to avoid any strenuous activity for a few weeks, especially anything that can raise your blood pressure. Also, avoid applying pressure on your breasts or unnecessary movement while your breasts heal.
Dr. Markmann will let you know when you will need to return for follow-up appointments.
Cost of Breast Augmentation with Implants in Ellicott City
Patients in Ellicott City and beyond can expect to learn the complete details of their procedure during the consultation process. The cost of your procedure will depend on the details of your surgery, and so the price of breast augmentation will vary slightly from patient to patient. Contact us today to find out more! Call (410) 465-3600 to begin the process.
- Coombs DM, Grover R, Prassinos A, Gurunluoglu R. Breast augmentation surgery: Clinical considerations. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2019;86(2):111-122. doi:10.3949/ccjm.86a.18017
- Fardo D, Sequeira Campos M, Pensler JM. Breast Augmentation. [Updated 2021 Oct 1]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482206/
- Karabeg, R., Jakirlic, M., Karabeg, A., Crnogorac, D., & Aslani, I. (2019). The New Method of Pocket Forming for Breast Implant Placement in Augmentation Mammaplasty: Dual Plane Subfascial. Medical Archives, 73(3), 178. https://doi.org/10.5455/medarh.2019.73.178-182